Rules Around Your Tenancy
Here are some frequently asked questions around tenancy rules

We want to provide the best service and by working together we can help make sure you love your home and neighbourhood.

Here you'll find some of the questions we get asked most frequently about rules around your tenancy.

Can I add names to my tenancy?

In some circumstances, depending on the conditions in your tenancy agreement, you may be able to add another person to the tenancy or change a joint tenancy to being in the name of just one person.

You’ll need to contact us using the form below to request any changes though. We’ll always try to say yes and would only have to say no if there was a very good reason. If we did have to say no, we’d tell you why.

Can I remove a name from my tenancy?

The person leaving the tenancy must advise us in writing that they wish to end their part of the tenancy. This can be done by completing the form below.

If a joint tenant dies, the remaining tenant will normally succeed to the tenancy in their own right. If this applies to your tenancy, please contact us for further advice.

If any of these circumstances apply to you, please contact us using the form below so that we can advise you of your next steps and update our records where needed.

How can I add a new name to my tenancy?

You’ll need to get in touch with us first using the form below. Remember, you need to be at least 12 months into your tenancy before you can add a name. You’ll usually be able to apply for a joint tenancy (where more than one person has signed the tenancy agreement) with your civil partner or spouse if they’re living at the same property as you. We’d need to check that it doesn’t go against any of the terms in your tenancy agreement.

Some of the things we’ll need to check are that:

  • No one is being pressured or paid to change the tenancy
  • There are genuine reasons for the change in tenancy
  • Everyone involved fully understands and accepts the responsibilities of changing the tenancy agreement
  • You’ve shown us any documents we need e.g. proof of residence
  • The property won’t be overcrowded if we change to joint tenancy

You may also be able to apply for a joint tenancy with another family member living in your home, like a sibling or parent. This is a bit more unusual and we’ll need to know all of the details before we give our permission.

Whoever it is that you’d like to add, you should make sure you understand that it’s a serious commitment. You’ll be responsible for the actions of each other. If you’ve got a joint tenancy you will both have equal rights over the tenancy and responsibilities. If one tenant doesn’t pay their share of the rent and then moves out, you both remain responsible and will be required to pay any rent arrears. When this happens, any debt recovery action can still be taken against both parties.

What to do if I have problems with a joint tenant?

If you have any issues with your joint tenancy, and dont think it can continue, please contact us we can discuss the issue and advise you.

Remember, because it’s a joint tenancy, you’re both equally responsible for the tenancy by law. That means you can’t just walk away. If one person breaks the agreement, you’ll both still be responsible.

If you are experiencing domestic abuse, please contact us - we’re here to help and can work with you and anyone else involved to find the best way to keep you and your family safe in your home. Remember there are lots of organisations out there that can offer you support, including Women’s Aid and Men’s Advice Line.

What is subletting?

Subletting is where you let out your home to someone else.

Am I allowed to sublet?

You might be able to sublet your home to someone else but you’d still need to get our permission to do it.. We wouldn’t refuse permission unless we have a good reason and if we don’t respond after 28 days, it’s granted automatically.

If you’re thinking about subletting or taking in a lodger, there is a certain criteria that must be met including the rent you are proposing to charge, and you must aso provide the sublet tenant with a legally binding tenancy agreement that we must approve.

If you would like to pursue this, you must contact us before making any plans.

Can I keep a pet?

The rules on owning a pet will be in your tenancy agreement and should explain the do's and don'ts clearly, but if you’re not sure contact us. We’ll also be able to help if you’ve misplaced your tenancy agreement and need another copy. Find out more about tenancy agreements and policies.

If you’d like to keep a pet in your home, please request permission from us first. You can do this by completing our online form

We’ll ask for a little information to make sure you’re definitely able to look after them properly, have the space and aren’t breaking any of tenancy agreement. We want your pet to be just as happy in your home, as you are.

Before you can move a pet into your home, we’ll need to know:

  • Where you live
  • How many pets you want to keep at your home
  • The type of pet you’d like to have
  • The microchip number

We love pets so we would normally give our permission without any problems, but there are some rules in place to keep your pet and your home as safe as possible. Some of these rules are general and some are specific to different types of animals:

As a responsible animal owner, I will:

  • Get permission if I want to keep an animal (this needs to be in writing and set up in advance).
  • Keep only the number and type of animals I have permission for in my home.
  • Pick up my dog or cat’s mess and dispose of it responsibly.
  • Microchip my animal
  • Make sure my animal is treated regularly for parasites, like fleas and worms.
  • Fix any damage my animals cause to the property.
  • Dog owners must comply with Section 48 of the Civic Government (Scotland) Act 1982

I will not:

  • Let my animal into the communal back court area.
  • Let my animals cause a nuisance or disturb my neighbours or visitors including contractors or staff.
  • Breed or sell animals from my home under any circumstances.
  • Keep a dog listed in the Dangerous Dogs Act 1991 or train my dogs to fight or attack.
  • Keep an animal listed in the Dangerous Wild Animals Act 1976 Schedule.

Why we have guidelines

We know there are many good things about having an animal, however, if you are not a responsible animal owner, your animal can cause a lot of stress to your neighbours.

Following these guidelines will make sure everyone is happy, they are in place to protect you, your animal and your neighbours.

Please remember that owning an animal is a privilege not a right. You need to follow these guidelines in accordance with your tenancy agreement.

You will also need to look after your animal’s welfare to make sure it is healthy and cared for. If you don’t, we will take action against you, or you may lose your permission to keep an animal.

What the law says you need to do

The law says you are responsible for the welfare of your animals. Under the Animal Welfare Act 2006, this is called a duty of care. This means you need to take care of your animal to make sure it’s healthy by looking after its everyday needs. You’ll also need to make sure your animal is vaccinated and treated for parasites. If you have any questions about caring for your animal, get in touch with your vet or an animal welfare organisation like the SSPCA.

Do you want your animal to live outside?

If you want to build an outdoor home for your animal, you will need to get our permission in writing first.

We will not be able to give you permission to build hutches or other housing in communal areas so you must have a private garden for this request to be considered.

Your request must include both your construction plans and details about the species that will live there.

What happens if I get a pet without permission?

If you get a pet without our permission we can usually give permission retrospectively, unless there have been concerns or issues.

If there are issues, we’ll ask you to rehome your pet immediately and, in extreme cases, you might face court action. This would be because you’ll have broken the terms of your tenancy agreement.

This also includes breaking any of the rules set up for keeping a pet. We really want you to be able to keep your pets but we can’t do that if it’s negatively affecting your neighbours.

If you’re found to have been breaking any laws you may also be prosecuted in court for animal cruelty, so it’s really important you always check with us first. We’ll judge each request on a case by case basis.

If you have any questions please contact us.

Want to add or remove a name from a tenancy?

Do you want to.... ( required )